Vegan Peanut Butter - Chocolate Bars
This recipe is inspired by the Date and Nut Bars recipe from The Vegetarian Cook's Bible by Pat Crocker, 2007.
2 Cups chopped dried dates
1/2 Cup organic creamy peanut butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 Cup apple juice
1 Cup gluten free flour
1 Cup whole rolled oats
3 T unsweet cocoa powder
1/2 tsp kosher/sea salt
1/4 Cup chopped nuts (unsalted)
4 T virgin coconut oil
1 T organic demerara sugar
1/2 Cup hazelnut milk (or as needed)
* Preheat oven to 350F or 180C, lightly oil square pan
* In a saucepan combine dates, vanilla, and apple juice. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Cool slightly but not completely.
* In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, cocoa, sugar, and salt.
* Using a wooden spoon, combine the coconut oil, nuts, and the peanut butter into the date mixture one ingredient at a time.
* Combine the date mixture with the flour mixture.
* Add the hazelnut (or other nut/soy milk) into the mixture until it is thick but smooth. It should not be watery or runny.
* Press the well-combined mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes for a moist and chewy bar. For a drier bar add an additional 25 minutes baking.
* Cool completely, cut into bars, and serve.
**you can combine any dried fruit /nut combination